What is health anxiety?
If you experience health anxiety (sometimes referred to as hypochondria), it means you are afraid of being or becoming seriously ill. You spend so much time worrying about this, that it starts to take over your life. Each time you feel something in your body, you are convinced it is a sign of serious illness. This can cause mood problems, like feelings of depression. Even if your doctor or others assure you that nothing is wrong, you remain anxious. Health anxiety starts to take up more and more of your time, interfering with your daily life, your work, social relationships, and activities.
The purpose of this module is for the patient to practice skills that can help overcome health anxiety.
What is this module about?
This module aims to:
- Support patients that have health anxiety;
- Motivate patients to break the vicious cycle of anxiety;
- Give exercises that help provide insight into the patient’s unhelpful thoughts and thinking traps;
- Give tools to practice thinking in more helpful ways;
- Contribute to preventing relapse.
Example of a page in the module Health Anxiety
For whom is this module suitable?
The module is suitable for patients who experience health anxiety. Minddistrict developed both a generic and an IAPT version of the module. In the IAPT version the Minimum Data Set is interwoven throughout the module and the final session consists of a patient experience questionnaire. As a therapist, you can use the module for blended therapy, alternating face to face sessions with online sessions. You can can monitor the patient’s progress through the sessions and diary entries and provide feedback. As a therapist, you can also tailor the module to your patient’s individual needs: for instance, by making a session unguided or adding or removing (optional) sessions.
What is the module based on?
The content of the module has been put together during an extensive development process and is based on relevant literature as well as the knowledge and experience of practitioners and patients. The module is IAPT step-2 and NICE compliant.
Which diaries are part of this module?
This module includes two diaries:
- In the health anxiety diary, the patient monitors situations in which they experience health anxiety. The patient answers a number of questions regarding what made them anxious (bodily sensation, situation or other experience), level of anxiety, thoughts, behaviour and the effect of their behaviour. By monitoring this, the patient gains insight and may notice changes throughout the module.
- With the thought record diary, the patient can challenge their unhelpful, negative thoughts step by step.
Are you interested in this module?
Do you want this module to be activated on your online platform? Then please contact your Minddistrict account manager.
Your feedback is welcome!
Minddistrict is eager to hear your opinion on the ‘Health anxiety’ module. If you have any feedback, questions or tips, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!